Monday, August 29, 2011

(retroactive) Adventure xi - Love is a Battlefield

I promise, no more 80s music references for a while.

I'll make this post short because even thinking about it makes me mad, but it certainly qualifies as an adventure.

As a little bit of background, my boyfriend and I have been dating for 2 years and 5 months this Saturday. It's been a very atypical relationship to say the least, but it has worked out for the most part. A few months back, we started talking about what'll happen in college, since we'll be 6 hours apart, and we decided on an open relationship; that way, we could still stay together, but if one or both of us find someone else, it's not the end of the world. The idea took some getting used to, but I think I got to the point where I could handle it.

And then he has the balls to say, with 6 weeks left in the summer, that he wants to date one of our mutual friends also. Needless to say I did not take this well.

Long story short, we're still together but I'm not exactly friends with the other girl much anymore. Something about hearing your friend talk about baserunning (if you're familiar with the base system metaphor) with your boyfriend, especially when they got as far in those 6 weeks as we had in the entire relationship, just didn't sit right with me. I guess I'm just too attached, but we've done a lot together and it hurt to know that he was doing and enjoying stuff with someone else, possibly even more than what I had to offer.

What I learned from this: I sure as hell am not doing that again.

No comments: