Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Adventure vi - Technology Upgrade

I don't get why everyone is all into the Apple superiority thing. iPods are nice, yeah, but when it comes to computers, I've been raised on PCs and prefer them. (Well, my first computering experience in elementary school was on those big, clunky Macs with the handles, but in terms of computer usage when I was doing actual computer work, not just that Type-to-Learn crap.)

Unfortunately, my school requires Macbook Pros for journalism majors, so much to my chagrin, I am now the owner of a 15.4-inch hunk of über-expensiveness. I don't even technically need anything beyond Microsoft Word for this year, but we got it early so I could know how to operate the dumb thing before I needed to use it for real.

Instead of a 5-item list, I'll do a 3-item list of each good and bad.

What I like about the new computer:
  1. My PC is starting to get a little slow opening things, like Google Chrome and iTunes, so the new computer will be faster.
  2. The touchpad works like an iPhone screen in the sense that you can zoom in and out by moving your fingers around on it.
  3. My PC can't support the software we need.
What I don't like:
  1. The fact that Apple is so exclusive that you can't have all the important software, like iLife and Final Cut and the other stuff I need for journalism, on a PC.
  2. Said software being extremely expensive (almost as much as the computer itself).
  3. When you click the X to close out of a program, it doesn't actually close the program and you have to go to the bar at the top to "officially" close it.
And now I have two computers. I'm not sure what to do.

No comments: