Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Adventure 24 - We're Doomed

Can someone explain to me the point of the primaries? I get that they're supposed to figure out which candidate is going to run for the party, but this one instead seems to be determining everyone's weaknesses rather than their strengths. Granted, it's a process of weeding out the bad candidates, but this entire Republican race has been one big idiocy-fest, between the mudslinging and everyone just sounding silly on pretty much every subject that's brought up. I don't know about you, but it disturbs me to know that these people believe they are fit for running an entire country, yet they can't count to 3, don't know what was going on in Libya or think that Gardasil causes mental retardation. (Of course, two of those aforementioned people already dropped out of the races, so perhaps the primaries are actually doing their job...)

I stayed up to watch the ball drop on New Year's (not sure why, I do it every year and every year it's as anticlimactic as the last), and once 2012 hit, a bunch of statuses appeared on Facebook from friends saying how they can't wait to get a Republican president into office. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'm not much into politics, but if these candidates are serious, we are screwed if any of them are elected. Sure, not everything has been hunky-dory this past term, but nothing has ever been completely hunky-dory at any point in... well, ever, so no one can say this term especially sucked, because all of them do in some way, shape or form. No president or administration can make everyone happy, and that's what we're forgetting. What I can say, however, is that I would rather have the misplays from this term than be denied basic reproductive health coverage or have anyone in the LGBT, etc. community be denied the right to marry who they want.

I'm not going to hope for "change" in the upcoming term because I don't know who will win and depending on who does, I might not want that change. So I'm going for "choice."

No comments: