Sunday, January 15, 2012

Adventure 25 - The Fellowship of the Geek

Because the only parties worth going to are geek parties.

Then again, that's the only party I've been invited to.

At any rate, after getting lost in a neighboring high school's campus while picking up a friend and his brother from their fencing meet and having the two of them make fun of my car (hey, it's a craptastic car but it's my craptastic car), I went to a geek party that their mom had invited me to, and it was so much fun. All the food was from any one of the traditional geeky franchises, like Star Wars or LOTR or whatever (I had some lamb stew that was really good), plus all sorts of picky stuff like veggies and jelly beans and Star Wars cookies.

Apparently, what usually goes on at these parties is that there are an assortment of activities for everyone, from games to movies and the like. They had a game of Munchkin going on, which I got for Christmas after a college friend introduced it to me, but I didn't see it until they had already started, plus I'm still a little rusty at the game, so I decided not to join. Besides, there were rumors of lightsaber fights, and I was in for a buck.

Of course, this wasn't going to be a legit fight. For starters, I can't swordfight to save my life, so between that and the fact that the two guys I came with both fence, I knew I was in for an ass-kicking. But the lightsabers were also not real lightsabers (duh) but PVC pipe wrapped in pool noodles and duct taped/Sharpied to look somewhat like real lightsabers, so what ended up happening is we just beat the crap out of each other with these giant foam swords and it was awesome.

(In related news, I hope I can find somewhere around here that sells pool noodles in January...)

We watched the trailer to The Hobbit (which I still need to read, but it comes out in December so I have time) and other YouTube nonsense, and I made the mistake of saying I had never seen The Fellowship of the Ring so even though my friend's mom and brother were leaving, my friend made me stay so I could at least watch part of it before I had to get home. Again, I've never read the book, so I was a little lost, but I'd like to watch it in full sometime, as well as read the book.

I couldn't stay to watch the whole movie 'cause I had to bring my friend back to his house, get all the fencing crap out of my trunk, fish around for a lost sneaker that had fallen out of the bag, and then get myself home. All in all, it was so much fun and I'm glad I went.

No comments: