Saturday, March 17, 2012

Adventure 32 - Atypical

Not much of a surprise, since I never do anything normally, but spring break is just an example. Rather than going to someplace warm and party-hartying (or staying in New England and party-hartying for St. Patrick's Day...), I went home for what has been a chaotic week. As with any break, I'm balancing seeing everyone while I'm home, plus taking advantage of the full kitchen. This week has included more tie-dye cupcakes, maple french toast cupcakes (that turned out more like muffins), and a St. Patrick's Day dinner including Guinness-braised short ribs, black and tan mac & cheese, boxty, Baileys mousse pie, Irish soda bread. I've also met up with friends and family, and I went to two concerts with my boyfriend, the Dropkick Murphys on Saturday and Enter the Haggis on Thursday.

After which he dumped me.

To be fair, we had a good run, but it had to happen eventually. Things had been going down the tank for a while (you know, since July when the polyamory bullshit started), and I had considered it myself but didn't want to deal with the pain. And obviously breakups/dumpings suck regardless, but he was very polite about it. He did it right before I dropped him off on Thursday because he wanted to do it in person and that was probably the last time we'd see each other before we went back, plus we still got to enjoy the concert (which I'll talk about next week after my Gaelic Storm concert, might as well do them all at the same time).

Am I happy about it? No, not really. This means that the other one gets what she wants yet again, which really pisses me off 'cause she gets life handed to her on a silver platter and never has to do a damn thing. This also means a major shot to my self esteem because I'm extremely self-conscious and the fact that he's not romantically interested anymore (or however he put it) means that clearly I screwed up somewhere. But more importantly, this means that even if we do stay friends, which is a stretch, it'll never be the same, and that really sucks.

On the plus side, I finally got to unfriend the other one as soon as I got home because I had only stayed "friends" out of respect for him, so now I don't have to deal with her shit anymore. I also had an excuse to text my friends at obscene hours of the morning (I didn't get home til 1) because I wanted them to hear it from me and not Facebook, and they've been texting to make sure I'm doing ok, which is really sweet. And when I get back to school, I get a singles' appreciation dinner/freedom festival/bitchfest with one of my guy friends who is also single (yeah, that one, but don't get any ideas).

So it's not perfect, but I'll live.

No comments: