Monday, May 28, 2012

Adventure 46 - Keeping Busy

Complications with the application and government clearance and all sorts of fun things have prevented me from starting my internship just yet, so I've been trying to find ways to keep myself entertained. Which is how I wound up knitting for four and a half hours when we lost power Saturday afternoon.

My stepdad's mom had taught me how to knit a few years ago, and I had a potholder-sized scarf knitted before I forgot how to finish it from lack of practice. Luckily, one of my college friends picked up knitting because of a girl she saw in her super-boring honors class who was also knitting. She retaught me how to knit, directed me to a few sites that helped her start, and I pretty much taught myself the rest.

I'm not exactly a classy knitter like she is. She started with the fancy, local-grown yarn and cute little wooden needles she bought at a store back at school. I started with the Walmart special yarn and ginormous needles. My splurge was a ball of Red Heart Soft yarn that was *le gasp!* two bucks more, or something stupid like that.

At any rate, I finished a scarf today. It's almost the length of my arm span, so I'm guessing just shy of 5 feet. I did a 3 knit, 3 purl pattern on 30 stitches, and I used red and black yarn (i.e. two strands), so it's a pretty thick and toasty scarf. Not something I wanted to be trying on in today's 75-degree weather, but it'll serve me well back at school (if it bothers to snow again...).

I had to hang it on my doorknob to get a good length picture.

Up-close shot of the stitching...

...and the stitching stretched out to show the ribbing.
So yeah, I could probably be doing better things with my time before I lose it to a full-time job (I reeeeeally need the money), but it's fun in the mean-time.

Next project: a modified fishtail. I say "modified" because this is the original pattern, and I didn't think I was going to have enough yarn in this batch to make 20 stitches across, so I did it with 15 instead. Pictures of that will come when I'm done (so whenever I run out of this yarn).

No comments: